Inspiration Wednesday with Video Tutorials

Hey! Today I have a home décor project I’m hoping to inspire YOU to make. It’s a DIY Photo Canvas with pretty Unity goodness on it. I just LOVE the look of photo canvas prints, but they can be costly, you’ve got to wait for them to arrive, and I want to use my Unity Kit of the Month and SMAK on them. Also, I have a ton of pictures I’d like to do this with, SO . . . I took the plunge and here’s what I came up with. 


I LOVE canvas texture!

That’s a picture of my youngest daughter, Gwendolen, riding on the carousel at Disneyland just before her 8th birthday in her Ariel Princess dress. I know I’ve posted pictures of this vacation on Facebook, looked through them a dozen times, but for the life of me, I just cannot recall seeing this photo before. Going back and looking at older photos sometimes allows me to SEE photos that I’ve overlooked for the very first time. There’s not a lot going on in the photo, so at the time I took it, I probably didn’t think anything of it. For some reason, it struck me the other day and I wanted to memorialize it for Gwendolen. Like, what the heck is she thinking in that picture? What is she looking at? She doesn’t even look like this at all any more. She’s 13 and has cultivated her own personal style and look. You know what? SHE enjoyed seeing her photo this way, too. SCORE!

On to the HOW-TO!

In this first video, I demonstrate how to secure tissue paper to cardstock, so you can print a photo on it. Then I demonstrate how to adhere the tissue paper to canvas. This is a mixed media technique you can use over and over again on canvas projects. One of my favorite techniques!

Supplies Used for this portion of the DIY Photo Canvas:
Masking Tape
Tissue Paper
Photo (access to printer, photo-editing software, etc)
Scissors or Paper Trimmer
Gel Medium
Paint Brush
Heat Tool (not necessary--just let air dry)
Fingernail File
Paper Towel or Baby Wipe


In the second video, I demonstrate how to add a simple sharpie frame to the edge of the photo from the DIY Photo Canvas done in the previous video.

The stamped sentiment on the photo is from Unity's January 2017 Kit of the Month.

Supplies Used for this portion of the DIY Photo Canvas:
Sharpie
Ruler


In the final video, I demonstrate how to add simple dimension to a stamped/paper-pieced butterfly from Unity's SMAK Kit onto the DIY Photo Canvas done in the previous video.

Supplies Used for this portion of the DIY Photo Canvas:
Unity's January 2017 SMAK & Kit of the Month Kits
Paper Flower Roller or pencil
Adhesive like Tombow Mono Multi Glue Adhesive
Pearls and/or Crystals



Here’s a peek at Unity’s January Kit of the Month (I used the sentiment on the canvas above) and SMAK Kit (I used the butterfly on the canvas above).



I hope you all use these techniques to make your very own DIY photo canvas print. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll fill your home with them and maybe even share a few with your friends and families.





Labels: , ,